When I was frantically rushing around the dressing room before the big show a few weeks ago, I happened across this quote, which had been pinned up by the door:
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Apparently it's a quote from Marianne Williamson, though it's been inaccurately attributed to Nelson Mandela.
Source aside...What a fabulous thing to read right before stepping on stage.
Even though I don't hold a standard anthropomorphic idea of "God", I take it to my own place and the point is still really clear.
While we're on the topic of inspiring quotes, another one that I've always adored is this one from Martha Graham:
“There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open."
So, you have permission. Go shine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment