Friday, October 10, 2008

A Round-about Story

Much like a train of thought that derails and takes you somewhere unexpected, I present to you a map of how I came to be so very excited about a concert this evening.

Two years ago, Frank took me to see the (then) new Omen film. I like horror films, and I even like bad ones, so it was a great date. One of the actors looked familiar, so I looked him up. Turns out that I really didn't remember him from anything in particular, so I was about to shrug it off, when I noticed he had a director credit & I clicked on it.

I hadn't heard of this film at all, which surprised me, considering how popular Elijah Wood was at the time with Lord of the Rings still being fresh in everyone's mind. So I checked out the trailer. I wasn't particularly interested, as I'm not much into quirky/drama films, but near the end of the trailer, my heart was stolen by that song.

After some investigation, I discovered that it was "How It Ends" by DeVotchKa, and I set out on a search for more of their music, and have become a huge fan.
I saw them when they came to town in May this year, and was absolutely blown away - I had no idea they'd be such a powerhouse on stage. It was a fantastic live show, and I was an even bigger fan by the time I left.

I did eventually see Everything Is Illuminated, which I enjoyed entirely. Even thought it wasn't my usual preference, it resonated very deeply for me. Lots of history, memory, and finding and keeping of lost things with deep emotional attachment. Oh yeah, and the soundrack was freakin' AWESOME. Full of beautiful folk music, and sprinkled with fantastic, upbeat gypsy-punk.

Sometime this summer, a friend of mine at work said, "So are you getting tickets to Gogol?" And I said "Huh?"
Apparently, Gogol Bordello is the band that did almost all the music for Everything Is Illuminated.
That was all I needed to hear. I immediately bought tickets to the show, which sold out shortly after, and a second show was added.
I didn't realize it at the time, but actually, the lead singer of Gogol Bordello was one of the main characters in the film!

What a convoluted path, but I'm really glad we got here. My life has been infused by some incredibly music and energy thanks to a random horror movie date.
The concert is tonight, and I've been told by folks that saw them last time they came that they are a "crazy-fun-show", so we're very excited.

To get you in the vibe, I send you this video, and encourage you to wear purple. :)

No comments: