Saturday, October 25, 2008

One Week To Go, Part 2

Also one week from now, I will be at the airport, waiting for my plane.

It's actually a bit hard to let myself be really excited about the trip, because I'm so focused on getting my huge list of tasks done on time. Not just work tasks, but lead-up tasks too. Getting/sorting/packing supplies for the trip, preparing the house for the cat/house sitter, supplying the house so the sitter is taken care of, writing up resource docs & itineraries for folks so they can reach us if they need to, and making sure we remember to take our travelers medications when we're supposed to. Up until yesterday, I was still trying to book hotels, and we still haven't really sorted our travel insurance yet.

I know that in one week, none of this will matter. What ever didn't get done, is history, and all that will be relevant is everything fabulous that's in front of me. And I'll get to rest a bit. If nothing else, I'll have 20 hours on the plane to sleep before launching into a brand new adventure. Crap, that reminds me, I forgot to get sleep aids. See? Always another thing to add to another list.

At the risk of making my small collection of readers insanely jealous, I will post a wee itinerary and a little map I drew up yesterday.

We leave Vancouver at 1:05am, Nov 1, and arrive in Delhi at 1:00pm, Nov 2. We will meet up with two friends who are already enjoying their India adventure, and travel with them for about six days.

Our first night will be in Delhi, but we won't really get to see it, as we leave first thing in the morning on a train to Agra. In Agra, we will stay two nights, see the Taj Mahal, and Fatehpur Sikri, and whatever else takes our fancy.
Back on the train to Khajuraho for two nights and to see the temples there. In Khaj, we will part ways with our friends who will be heading back to Delhi. Frank & I will then travel to Varanasi by train, where we will stay four nights. Varanasi is perched on the banks of the river Ganges, and is frequently labeled the "most holy city in India". Some Varanasi highlights are the ghats, and a variety of temples, including the stunning Durga Mandir.
We fly from Varanasi to Kochi on Nov 11, and meet up with a tour that will take us around the south of India for fourteen days. After that, we will fly to Goa for three nights, where we will relax on the beaches and and enjoy the sea air. Then, it's back to Delhi for two nights. We decided to tack on a bit more Delhi at the end, to give us time to see the Red Fort and Humayun's Tomb, and, more if we have time. There's certainly no shortage of things to see and do in India.

We fly home on Nov 30, and I'm sure we will have tons of stories and pictures to share.

No comments: