I want more people to stand up and shout "this is bullshit!" so that I don't have to be the one to do it all the time.
There was an unknown meat head at our company party, and I approached him after he hit on my producer’s girlfriend. Despite my direct and friendly approach, he essentially treated me like somebody’s stupid girlfriend, and overall was behaving like an obnoxious party crasher. He was supposedly someone’s guest, but was eventually was asked to leave, (though not directly after my interaction with him). It left me with lots or “RAWR!” feelings, and I had a hard time letting it go. Hell, I’m still RAWR about it.
Why is it that in a room full of MEN, it was a woman who had to step up and say "Who are you and do you even belong at this party?" Everyone SAW it - boys & girls alike saw it. One of the witnesses thanked me for doing it - but still... it SUCKS. Ugh... makes me feel all ooky about gender & authority stuff.
4 comments:
Yep, I sure do here ya.
They actually did a study: that in a group of many standing about, atrocities can happen because no one wants to make the first move. Let someone else deal with it.
When I went to the incredibly stressful AGM and had people hiss at me, it was after that I had people come up to me and say they were so thankful I was standing and saying something.
And that would be HEAR ya, not here ya. Duh.
Back in high school, you may or may not remember, I got in HUGE trouble for having stood up for a girl getting sexually harassed IN CLASS! I got detention, a lecture from the VP, got branded social pariah (even by the girl in question)and even got flack from my boyfriend because he was getting trouble from HIS friends over MY actions. It's been 15 some years and I am still stunned at the reaction.
But just because we don't get standing ovations doesn't mean we should stop doing the right thing.
"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."
Harvey Fierstein
Blarg! I totally hate having to be the guy who speaks up also plus. What a tool - hopefully he'll be blacklisted from future Relic events!
Oh, and also, go you! <3
Post a Comment