Tuesday, December 11, 2007

... and sometimes, I see monkeys

I realized that when I say "I'm looking at people and I see their bones, or their ghosts", I'm really only talking about people who are moving me positively in a meaningful or emotional way - in a way that I appreciate and resonate with and will miss when it's gone.
Not so much when they're being disrespectful and puddin' headed. Then... all I see is a bunch of frikken monkeys.

I went out to see Bassnectar last Friday, which was quite awesome, but I found myself being very distracted by all the monkeys. A lot of people seemed to have no respect for the performer, or the club, or anyone around them. I'm not kidding, people were up there dancing right IN his little booth. Many of them were kind of nudging him & then talking to him, much like in a "hey great show man" kind of way... but WHILE he was doing his show. Other people kept waving up from the front of the booth trying to get him to shake their hands or touch them or something while he was spinning & doing the knob twiddling that DJ's do. To my surprise, for the most part, he was very patient with the monkeys, and was gracious and friendly to them. Only when two girls actually climbed the front of his booth to smile & wave at him did he react strongly - and even then, only by disengaging from the tables, throwing up his hands and turning his back to them until they got down.

Since when do we get up into a performer's space and harass them like that? Who are these people and who taught them it's ok to behave like this? Am I just getting old?

Probably...

2 comments:

Arwen said...

No, I noted this too. At the Johnette Napolitano concert, she turned down a shot of tequila about 4 times because "that's bad for me honey, I won't wake up til Wednesday". Like, excuse me, there's an alcohol issue here.

But the yahoos kept yahooing Drink It! Drink IT!, and I thought it was deeply disrespectful. Do what we want, even if it compromises your sanity and health! Man.

Finally she took it and took a tiny sip and handed it off to a stagehand.

Monkeys indeed.

Claire Roberts said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15KgyXBX24

Tee hee.