Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Another random tidbit

(Bhyrn, your comment on my visual story inspired me to write this one down too).

Once upon a time...
Not sure how old I was - less than five for sure, I was playing in the living room while the grownups were makin' dinner or something. My mom was an avid knitter, and her basket of wool & needles etc were left unattended.
For whatever reason, maybe it was the novelty of being left within reach of real ones, I picked up the scissors.
Don't fret... I didn't run with them.
I picked up the loose end of a ball of wool and snipped a piece off. Maybe it was just to be mischievous, I'm not sure. She wouldn't notice one little bit cut off.
But it sounded surprisingly cool....
So I snipped again.

There was a satisfying crunchy-snippy sound. A really multi-layered sound. The crunch of the fibres being cut, and the schwip of the metal scraping against itself.
I snipped again.
So cool.

Snip.
I listened again, trying to separate the two sounds.
Snip.
Snip.
I listened again, trying to mash the two sounds into one sound.
snip...snip...
I was completely hypnotized by that crunchy, snippy sound.
It was so... satisfying.
snip...snip...snip...snip...snip...snip...snip...snip...

I got so caught up in the sound that I didn't really notice that I was cutting up THE ENTIRE BALL OF WOOL. In fact, I don't even really think I thought about that at all, and I might have just lost interest and wandered off once I was either a) satisfied or b) out of wool. In fact, I may have forgotten I'd even done it, by the time my mom discovered the wooly massacre and flipped out. Well, I shouldn't say flipped out - she wasn't mad, she was just spectacularly confused.

"Why did you do this?!"
blink blink
"Why?"
blink blink blink

I remember thinking that telling the truth, if I could even have articulated it properly, would likely not be enough justification for wasting an entire ball of wool. In retrospect, if I'd been able to articulate that motivation, she probably would have been amused.

So I said: "um... I don't know?"

Always makes me wonder now, when I hear kids say that. Wonder if they really don't know, or if they're scared to tell the truth, or if they just don't have the language for it yet.

3 comments:

Ren Zenderton said...

Reminds me of the story of the time I took a five pound bag and spread it out all over the kitchen floor, patting it down. I think I might have been 2 and a bit.

Also reminds me of the Monty Python "Emperor Stringettes" bit with the marketing guru "Adrian Wapcaplet."

"Emperor Stringettes, as used in hospitals."
"Hospitals?"
"Ever been to a hospital that didn't have string?"
"No."
"There you are then."

Ren Zenderton said...

http://www.skepticfiles.org/en001/monty16.htm

Claire Roberts said...

Five pound bag of what?

Also, I've seen that MP skit so many times I can hear their voices in my head when I read that script. Hee hee!