I carry my errors like stones.
When I left instead of speaking.
When I spoke instead of listening.
When I allowed anger instead of compassion.
A false accusation, a projection.
Ignorance, selfishness, judgment.
All these stones, they never leave me.
Apologies do not break them.
They stack up in my heart,
and even if forgiven, I do not lay them down.
Sometimes, instead of seeing your face,
I see the stones I carry for you.
Hurts I've caused you.
Those errors that are bygones for you,
are stones for me.
I love you.
But these stones remind me
that you have reasons to not love me back.
I cannot undo what has been done,
so I try to make up for these errors,
but nothing allows me to put down my burden.
I am forever trying to heal a bleeding wound
that cannot be staunched by stones.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
wow.
Sometimes, rarely, but sometimes I read a poem that sounds so personal and familiar that I feel as if I myself must have written it. This is such a poem.
thank you.
Post a Comment