Friday, February 8, 2008

Dreaming Giant Birds

Haven't dreamed any giant birds in a while, but last night made up for it.

I was in a place that I had been before - traveling solo through countryside on foot. The last time I was there, I had been on the "low road"... down in the valley on foot paths through the hills. This time, I was on the "high road", walking along the pavement, but there were no cars. It is a beautiful spring day with bright sun.

Looking out to my right, over the valley, and I see giant birds flying in from the distance. I squint until they come closer and I can make out their shapes. I recognize one as a variety of heron, but it looks much more ancient, and the hand-structure of it's wing bones are very prominent. It's a misty white colour, with blue & grey hints at the wingtips. I watch it fly for a moment before looking to the others.

There are a few massive eagles among the group, soaring stoically. My attention is drawn to the crows. About a dozen of them, all over-sized and cawing, dipping and launching around each other in the air, light being simultaneously absorbed and reflected by their oil slick feathers.

I pause for moment, standing at the side of the road, wind blowing, grass green, and watch, feeling my breath in my chest, and listening to the sound of wings and laughing birds.

There is a little skip, and I'm sitting somewhere indoors, talking to someone, and telling them about the birds I just saw. As I am speaking, I glance out the window, and a crow lands in my view, and then two more. The three of them go innocently about their crow business, but occasionally cock their heads and peer in the window at me while I talk. I smile, knowing they are aware that I'm talking about them.

2 comments:

Yonderboy said...

Birdie num nums. Howdy Pardenar!!!

Ren Zenderton said...

Humour me on this for a moment:

If you face North, and spread your hands out to the East and West, which direction do you consider to be "The Future?"

Now, in your dream, which directions were you traveling, if you know?

Did I ever tell you about sleeping the night in a tent in Crow's Nest Pass? Have YOU been there? Must go there, crowlady. It's not be be believed, it's to be experienced.